
After leaving Paauilo Elementary and Intermediate School as class valedictorian, it was important for me to venture on to a high school, to complete the rest of my education where the faculty and staff strive for quality work, as Paauilo did. Paauilo was my home away from home. The faculty and staff were like my parents. Everything I needed I went to them. Having such a small classes every forty-five minutes, the teaching staff and other faculty members were able to bond with the students on a more personal level. The teachers has been there for over twenty years, and had many generations of families that they have thought. For example, most of the teachers there now taught all of my cousins, my brothers, but it also went way back to my aunt who is now in her forties. During breaks, if there was nothing to do and you wanted to either study or talk stories with someone, the teachers' doors were always open for you. The elementary section of the school always welcomed intermediate students into the class to help out with the little ones. For my eighth grade and freshman year, I worked with the new kindergartners. Working with them has thought me many life skills and has also thought me how valuable education at such a young age is. As my days at Paauilo were coming to an end, I had to think of the next school I wanted to venture on to. Doing some research online of possible high schools on the Big Island, Saint Joseph high School caught my attention. St. Joe strives for excellence in everything they do. Just look at many of the alumni. They have moved on in life and are very successful in the world today. I told myself: “This is my school.” Finally, school started and my first week went by so fast. It has officially hit me that this school is similar to the school I used to call home. This is my new home. The faculty and staff here at St. Joe are compassionate and caring people. They will give for you if you are willing to receive and give back. As I walk into each class, I feel welcomed, and receive greetings. This has made me feel part of the Cardinal family.