Tuesday, September 7, 2010


by Nathan


MySpace is a social network website, which became popular in June 2006. MySpace employs around 1000 employees, but laid off about 30% due to the rise of competitor Facebook. The first MySpace users were eUniverse employees. eUniverse stands for “Intermix Media, Inc”, which is a Los Angeles-based internet marketing company owned by MySpace.

MySpace was originally owned by YourZ.com Inc., and was planned to be a leading online data storage and sharing site. By 2007 and into 2008, MySpace was known as the leading social networking side. They redesigned many of the features of the site in both the layout and function department, and increased security. The contents of MySpace are: moods, blubs, blogs, multimedia, and comments, profile customizing, music, bulletins, groups, MySpace instant messaging / mobile/ classifieds/ news/ karaoke/ polls/ forums. MySpace is used mostly used by teens.

I feel that this social network is just a simple way for teens to get themselves into a lot of trouble, not just with their parents, but also with the law. It starts with many young girls posting inappropriate pictures of themselves. Then here come pedophiles. Around the world today, there are many controversies about MySpace. I use MySpace to chat with my friends. But I always have thought: “What if I’m talking to a fake person? What if I give this person information about me, and he/she comes after me one day?” To me I feel that MySpace is not a secure social network.