Monday, February 28, 2011

Interact Convention 2011

This past weekend Malia, Kaira, and I had the opportunity to attend a Convention held on Oahu for all of the high school interact clubs in Hawaii. At the convention we got a special tour of the battleship USS Missouri, skated at Ice Palace, learned how we can be a part of a worldwide organization to try and get rid of all polio. We also met new friends and learned leadership skills.

We started off Friday evening having some fun by playing a few ice breakers. One of the games was to introduce ourselves and think of a food that describes us, beginning with the first letter of our name. Mine was Teriyaki Tiara... go figure!

Saturday morning we had a special opportunity to get a full tour of the battleship USS Missouri. That ship was amazing. I learned that it could fire to places up to 23 miles away! Also I learned that every ship is called a "she" because they always have a woman break the champagne bottle at the tip of the ship when it is first ready to set sail.

Later that afternoon we went to Ice Palace where I got to ICE SKATE for the FIRST TIME! Let me tell you, I was SO bad at it that I always had to be holding onto someone or something or I would fall. I was hanging on to the side railings, skating less that 1 mile per hour, and seeing all these little 6 year olds show me up; this was not the greatest feeling in the world. Haha! I thought to myself, never again.

Sunday our last day there, we watched a polio video made by the past District Governor of Rotary for Hawaii. It was how Rotary was so close to ending polio in all of the different countries. It showed us the various service projects which have helped to match Bill Gates' $250 million donation to the Rotary Foundation. I myself might have the privilege of going out of the United States to one of the countries where they eradicate polio. I hope I do!

The convention was a great experience!