The web newsmagazine of St. Joseph School in Hilo, on the eastern shore of the beautiful Big Island of Hawaii
Wednesday, May 4, 2011
World's Biggest Baby
Recently, I watched a video on National Geographic that has a show called "Taboo" that shows people with different types of lifestyles. One particular lifestyle that stood out was 29 year old Stanley's life of infantilism. Stanley likes to believe he's a baby! He lives with a nurse who isn't his mother and she cares for him as her own 2 year old. Stanley has his own nursery with his own crib, bottle, binky, and....wait for it....diapers. This is completely strange to me and I really don't understand why someone as old as Stanley would want to live in a fantasy world where he's a baby. Sure, other people in the world do it too, but In my opinion, there's a time in your life when you are a baby, then you grow up to be a teenager, then you become an adult. The reason why you go through these stages is to prepare you for the adult world; and I don't think Stanley is following the rules of society. I'm all for being "different" but no adult should be acting like a baby. I find it very unacceptable.